A band saw is one of the essential tools for woodworks. It is not only a versatile tool for a variety of cutting jobs but also useful in making fine, intricate details. It helps you make curves on wood and comes in handy to cut thick pieces of wood. Like any other tool, you need to select the best to ensure its efficiency.
Finding the best band tool can be challenging; considering the many types and models available. Also, you might have a hard time figuring out what features you should look for in a band saw. For this reason, I have compiled reviews of 7 best band saws together with tips on how to select the most suitable one.
A quick glance of Band Saws
The Best Band Saws on the Market of 2020
1. WEN 3962 Two-Speed Band Saw (Our Top Recommended)
The functionality of this band saw makes it one of my favorite options. You can use it to cut a variety of boards, thanks to the 3.5-amp motor and a 9 ¾ -inch throat.
Additionally, the two-speed feature enhances its performance to cut up to six inches deep. You can run the saw at 1520 or 2620 feet per minute to cut different materials.
The blade options that come with the band saw make it practical and applicable for many wood jobs. The 72-inch blades are useful ⅛ to ½ of an inch. This feature enhances functionality for different intricate needs.
Another essential feature is the 3-in-1 dust port. It fits a variety of dust collection hose sizes, including 1-¾ all through to 4 inches. In addition to the dust port, it has a sturdy fence, a miter gauge, a work light, and a 25-inch stand.
I love that this saw can deliver bevel cuts from 0° to 45°. This function comes in handy to make angled cuts and contributes to the applicability of the saw for various projects.
It is a high-performance saw; however, it requires a little fine-tuning and adjusting regularly. This process can be a little challenging at first but does not take away from the functionality of the saw.
Overall, this band saw makes it to my list of favorites. It has the quality to withstand regular use, works well for different jobs, and is super easy to install.
2. SKIL Band Saw (Best for the Money)
The band saw is ideal for ripping lumber into thin pieces as well as cutting irregular shapes of wood. It is compact and has a seamless design for convenience.
The band saw has a one-speed motor that works to cut wood and metal-based materials. It operates smoothly to ensure clean and precise cuts. The speed is regulated to suit most materials and prevent chaffing when cutting.
When it comes to accessories, this band saw has essential ones for practical use. It has an articulating LED work light to enhance visibility and ensure precision when cutting.
It also has a rack and pinion adjustment. This feature comes in handy to make the right angle when cutting. Additionally, you can use it to set the ideal height for precision cutting.
The adjustable rip fence helps to guide the workpiece for straight and precise cuts. You can also use the miter gauge when making crosscuts.
A dust port is another essential feature to ensure the work environment is bearable. This band saw features a dust port that you can attach to a vacuum hose. It helps to minimize dust and debris that come from the process.
Using this band saw is convenient for the regular user, thanks to its compact, lightweight nature. A downside though, it might be challenging to adjust the blade guides as the upper one is a little loose.
The Skil 9” is one of my favorites considering how small yet functional it is. The accessories it has are useful to ensure quality cuts on different materials. Additionally, it runs quietly hence suitable for use anywhere in the home.
3. WEN 3959 Bench-top Band Saw
The seamless and attractive design of this band saw is one of its outstanding features. Not only does it look great, but it also functions right to provide precise and clean cuts.
The 2.4 amp motor operates quietly and smoothly, hence suitable to use at any time of the day. It rotates the blade up to 2500 feet per minute to deliver a clean and precise cut in a short time.
The blade is of high quality and suits different sizes of materials. You can create cuts up to 3 ½ inches deep and 9 inches wide. The 59 ½ inch blades are useful from ⅛ to ⅜ inches.
An essential feature, the work table, is spacious for convenient cutting and free movement. Furthermore, it has a bevel function that adjusts up to 45 degrees. This feature allows you to cut angles and create unique designs with your band saw.
You can make use of this band saw with the accessories it has. It features a ¼-inch wide blade and a 2 ½ -inch dust port. Additionally, it comes with a rip fence and a miter gauge, all essential for the functionality of the saw.
Still, this band saw suits small working spaces. It is compact and works on any flat, stable surface without compromising on the functionality.
The saw is a great choice; however, if you have heavy woodwork projects, it might not hold up well. But, as a DIY enthusiast, you can make use of it in many different ways.
This small, functional band saw stands out with the design and size. It is stable on the ground, and the motor runs smoothly. It comes with various functions allowing you to customize.
4. Grizzly Industrial G0555 Band Saw
If you are looking for a highly functional band saw for long term use, the Grizzly G0555 is an ideal choice. It suits modern woodworks and has fantastic features for high performance.
The cast-iron frame gives this saw some weight to it. It comes with a heavy-duty stand to ensure stability as you work. Additionally, it has cast-aluminum wheels with rubber tires for excellent traction.
It has all the necessary accessories for functionality. The design features a 4-inch dust port that works with different dust collection hoses. Additionally, it has a ⅜-inch blade, an aluminum fence, and a miter gauge.
The band saw has a 1 HP motor that is pre-wired and compatible with 110V and 220V single phase. It runs quietly and smoothly while ensuring clean, accurate cuts. It is not only powerful for crosscuts and re-saw but also curves, circles, and other decorative cuts.
The all-bearing construction adds on to its effectiveness in cutting. The design comes with upper and lower ball-bearing guides for easy use. You can easily cut any size of board and achieve a clean, straight cut.
One downside however; is that the band that comes with it might not last a long time with regular use. The good thing is that it is replaceable and readily available on the market.
The Grizzly G0555 is stable and stands the test of time. The motor has high power, runs smoothly and quietly allowing you to use it in any room of your house. You can listen to your favorite music and not worry about vibrations and cutting noises.
5. Powertec BS900 Band Saw
If you are searching for a band saw for precise cuts, the Powertec BS900 is a viable option. It comes in a simple yet functional design that works well for different cutting needs.
The band saw runs on a ½ HP induction motor. It is super quiet when cutting, hence suitable for use at any time of the day. More to this, the motor is powerful and delivers quality cuts in different configurations.
One of the unique features of this band saw is the patented blade guard system. You can easily adjust the cutting depth to use on different sizes of materials. The patented quick-release blade tension lever helps you replace the blade easily and safely.
If you are an avid DIY enthusiast, you will love this band saw. It features a tilting table that bevels from 0 to 45 degrees. With this feature, you can cut different angles and get your creativity going.
The band saw is fitted with an easy-viewing window. With this, you can ensure the blade is in proper alignment before cutting.
The overall quality of the band saw makes it a suitable choice for long-term use. The table comes in high-quality aluminum die-cast. It is stable when cutting and withstands regular use. Accessories include a miter gauge, angle stops, and a dust port.
I find this saw appropriate for regular DIY projects; however, it is important to note that you might need to change the blade. It can be a little flimsy with heavy, thick wood boards. The good thing is that the blade is super easy to remove and replace.
Finding a band saw that works for different materials can be challenging. Luckily, this model from Powertec combines functionality with the quality to provide you with excellent results. It is stable, easy to set up and simple to adjust.
6. JET JWBS-14DXPRO Deluxe Pro Band Saw
This 12-inch model work well for regular woodworks. It has unmatchable quality to withstand any type of project without compromising on the quality of results.
When it comes to its functionality, you can expect it to work well for various projects. I love that it has a high cutting capacity and a built-in retractable blade. You can cut at a width of 13.5 inches and a height of 12 inches. Additionally, the blade guard moves up and down from 0 to 12 inches for versatile use.
The cast iron frame is super sturdy to withstand tough re-sawing jobs without the need for using a raiser block. Together with the high blade speed, you can use this band saw to cut through thick materials.
Another quality feature is the sturdy table. It measures 15 inches by 15 inches and can tilt 10 degrees left and 40 degrees right. The 43.5 inches height is comfortable for you while working for hours.
Using this band saw is safe; thanks to the poly-v drive system. You can choose from the two speeds and cut through different materials. More to this, a quick-release blade tension feature ensures flexible, fast, and flawless adjustments.
You might need to change the blade before you use the band saw. Although it works well, it is advisable to replace it for heavy, woodcutting jobs.
If you are looking to upgrade your band saw and replace it with a high-quality, long-lasting design, the JET JWBS can work well. It runs smoothly and provides precise cuts with simple adjustments and settings. Additionally, the frame and table are sturdy to hold up well with regular use.
7. Rikon 10-305 Band Saw
The stability of a band saw can affect its functionality. Therefore, it is essential to find one that is solid enough to lay flat and stay stable as you cut. This Rikon model is one of the best band saws, thanks to the quality of materials.
It features a solid steel frame for stability and strength. Additionally, it has a cast-iron table in a large size to provide more working space. The table is flat and stable to ensure you achieve quality cuts regardless of the configurations you set on the band saw.
The 10-inch band saw runs on a ⅓HP motor that is durable and powerful. You can cut both thin and thick pieces of materials and achieve clean, straight cuts.
It comes with functional accessories in addition to the rip fence. The model features a large blade tension knob that comes in handy when changing blades. Also, it has a dust port to attach to a vacuum hose and eliminate dust and debris.
It is a high-quality band saw; however, the blade guide requires regular adjustments. Also, it might be difficult cutting thick hardwood at full length. But, with proper alignment, you can manage the situation.
The band saw makes it to my list of best saws of 2020 with the simple, yet practical design. It runs smoothly and suits various woodcutting jobs. More to this, the quality of the frame and table is outstanding in providing stability and strength all through.
Types of Band Saws
Band saws are available in three types; the open stand, closed stand, and tabletop. The tabletop band saw comes in a small size and suits a workbench or table. It is popular among hobbyists and small woodworkers.
The open and closed models come with a dedicated stand. These are the most common among regular users. The difference between the open stand and the closed stand design is the name. The open stand features just a saw and a table while the closed one comes in the design of a cabinet.
Open and closed stand designs are both sturdy and work well for different projects.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Band Saw:
- PowerThe power of the motor will determine whether or not it cuts through the materials. The more power a motor has means the saw can cut through dense materials. If you get a band saw with compromised motor power, it may affect the quality of results. Ultimately, it would not maintain the blade speed and torque.
- Cutting CapacityThis feature has to do with how a band saw can manage to take on a workpiece. Each band saw has its unique cutting capacity, which depends on throat and width.The throat is the distance between the blades and the vertical frame position. Depth refers to the distance from the table to the upper blade guide. The depth the band saw determines how thick of a material it can cut.
- BladeBlades come in different sizes to cut different types of materials. The blade needs to work well with the specific material you intend to cut. For example, a blade with a smaller width suits cutting curves.Another feature to look out for is the tooth pattern of the blade. A regular-toothed blade is suitable for finesse cutting while a hook-toothed blade works to rip through the materials.It is essential to ensure that the blade is easy to change. Most band saws come with a quick-release blade system for convenient changing.
- SpeedThe type of material you intend to cut determines the speed you should look for. For example, cutting metals requires lower speed that ripping through wood. The best option would be to get a band saw with various speed levels. This will allow you to adjust according to the type of material.
- DurabilityMaterial quality is an essential factor to keep in mind when selecting a band saw. The frame, especially, should be robust and strong enough to withstand regular use. Consider frames made from materials such as die-cast steel, welded steel, and cast iron. These materials stand the test of time and ensure the band saw is stable on the ground.
- Worktable SizeA large worktable will provide a wide space to work on and allows flexibility when cutting. Additionally, a large workspace offers extra support for the materials when cutting. An overview of your project can guide you through the size of the workspace you should get.
Special Features to Consider:
- WeightAs much as quality is an essential feature to consider, some band saw materials can add up to its weight. The idea is to ensure it is not too weighty for portability. You might need to move it around the workshop or adjust the position without posing an accident risk.
- Base StabilityBand saws feature base stands to ensure stability with limited vibrations. Even with the feature, if you place the saw on a rough, sloppy place, it might end up shaking or vibrating. It can be irritating or cause unforeseen accidents.
- Blade GuardA blade guard covers the blade when running to prevent accidental cuts. Most people tend to use the saw without the guard on, and this can be risky. Ensure it is always on and fitted correctly.
- Blade Tracking Window A tracking window comes in handy to help you see the line of the cut. If this is not visible, you might end up with rugged cuts. Before running the saw, ensure the line of cut is visible and in the right place.
- Dust PortUsing a band saw, especially when cutting wood, results in dust and debris from the process. A dust port comes in handy to channel the dust and dirt leaving you with a clutter-free workspace. It also prevents you from breathing the dust particles.
Conclusion – The Best Band Saws, Our Choice
The above best band saws of 2020 are ideal options for different needs. My favorite one has to be the WEN 3962 Two-Speed Band Saw. It has a powerful motor that maintains the cut quality with different configurations. Additionally, the band saw has a 72-inches blade, which is some of the most functional ones for woodwork.
In comparison with the other models, this particular one provides you with a variety of options to suit different needs. Think of the two-speed design and the 3-in-1 dust port. Together with the additional accessories, the band saw runs smoothly and delivers quality, precise cuts.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon.com.