Living in a dorm is cool yet not always quite comfortable – the physical space is small, so there is not too much room to feel homelike. The experience is indeed unique (if you haven’t by now, I would recommend each and every single one of you to try it!), but let’s face it: in order to feel comfy, you need to make relevant dorm changes and design a space that is relaxing for you. To make that happen, you need two things: time and creativity. You might be wondering, how about money? The answer is simple: you don’t necessarily need money in order to create a comfortable, cozy space for you. Creativity can take the place of the dollar bill. Here are some Tumblr dorms ideas that can get you started.
1. Designing a personalized color palette
Choosing your favorite color scheme for your dorm is a great way to start working on your personalized style. Here are some colors and their “hidden” meanings. I hope this will give you an idea of what you’d like to see within your room and help you make the right choice for you.
- Pink expresses feminine, calm, love, and passion. It could also be an excellent color to express energy. It is refreshing, but not aggressive, and simple, but not boring.
- Orange sets a bright and cheerful atmosphere and brings happiness and joy into your heart. Combined with white (or other nude colors), it would look amazingly cozy!
- Yellow expresses sunshine, rainbows, and positive energy. It fits cheerful personalities.
- Green is for soothing moods, evoking the power of nature and spirit. It is also a high energy color. It will help you stay focus on your work.
- Blue and purple are cold colors, but they work well when you need tranquility and calmness in your life. For exam time, try a combination of navy blue and white, or light purple and white. White gives complementary colors a shade of light and brightness.
Using baskets to save space
Since dorm rooms are so small, storage baskets might be exactly what you need to clear up space for you and create a cool Tumblr dorm. You can use baskets for a big number of reasons; here are some of the most relevant ones.
- Store the toilet paper on the wall – use baskets as wall decors
- Organize your baskets under the counter – use them for soap, extra linens, or even toilet paper
- Use them as blanket and pillow storage, especially during the cold months
- Use baskets for book storage
- Sort clean and dirty clothes by choosing the right basket for each one of them – have them sit in the bathroom, under the counter, or next to the door
- Use them as towel storage
Tip: whatever you choose, make sure your baskets are in tone with your room. If, for instance, your color palette is green, using a pink Skye basket is probably a bad idea.
Giving lighting another form
Anther one of the really cool dorm room ideas Tumblr is giving your lights a personal note, making them stand out! All you need is a bit of imagination and determination to make it happen. If you have some money to spend, there are options available. The best idea would be adding a floor lamp to your dorm or a desk one to blend in with the college theme dorm. In any case, you’ll want to use lights with a warm temperature, as the underlying tones can create a certain atmosphere within your room. These lamps will be used not only for décor, but for practical reasons as well, so make sure you get lights that can switch intensity. You’ll need different variations for reading your favorite books, writing school essays, or chilling in the bed.
The desk chair and the rugs
In case you ever need homework help, what better way to buy argumentative essay than by sitting in a comfortable chair and feeling the snuggly rug below your feet? Since you are a student, you obviously need both a chair and a desk; so, don’t buy something that looks unacceptable – make your room look great from the very first start. You could add a faux fur rug or blanket over the back of your chair to make it cozier. You should match the color of the rug/blanket with the color of the rug, and with your overall college theme.
You will need some time to rest in between study sessions, so make sure your new college dorm girls Tumblr aesthetic looks calm enough. In the end, you’ll rest your eyes on your walls while taking breaks, so hanging creative art is a good place to start. Also, don’t overwhelm yourself with endless décor. Choose simple yet powerful quotes or images. Ensure that they help you become productive and stay focused on your work, but make sure that they also provide a relaxing visual field for you. Avoid using colors such as red or intense pink on the wall in front of your desk.
The above tips will help you develop your own Tumblr dorm style. Your roommates will envy you so much! Make sure you always give your dorm a personalized look and stay creative!
Judy Nelson is a freelancer, activist, and world traveler. Her experience with arts and crafts helped her set up her first writing business. Judy is a Tumblr expert, a Twitter specialist, and a professional YouTuber.