Do you have a rayon material in your closet that just won’t fit? Well, the good news is you might not have to do away with your favorite rayon piece of clothing after all. Trust me, I know how annoying it can be when you try to wear your rayon material and it won’t fit, I’ve been there. And No! You probably haven’t gained extra weight.
Tossing rayon materials into the washing machine and then the dryer isn’t something you should do. It is usually a common mistake that 70% of people are guilty of. However, it is common and can be fixed.
Rayon is a special textile fabric made from regenerated cellulose. These kinds of materials have the tendency to shrink if you do not wash them by hand or give them to a professional dry cleaner to help.
In this article, we have listed a couple of ways to unshrink rayon material back to its original size. No! This isn’t a myth, I have tried out these steps and they worked for me, I’m sure they’ll work for you too.
So, what are you waiting for? Dig into your closet and bring out those abandoned rayon materials.
6 Ways To Unshrink Rayon
1. Using a Clothes Steamer
My husband introduced me to this method, I remember when he did unshrink his rayon shirt using this technique. I was shocked it worked at first and had to ask him to teach me. Apparently, the heat and steam help stretch the cloth further without causing any damage to it. Here’s what you need;
- Warm water
- Clothes hanger
- Hair Conditioner
- In a bucket add warm water until it almost reaches the brim.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of hair conditioner.
- Put the cloth in the bucket and massage it for a few minutes, this will help loosen up the fibers.
- Rinse the cloth in another bucket containing warm water.
- On a clean surface lay a large towel placing the rayon cloth on it.
- Remove excess water from the material by simply patting.
- Get a very good amount of water out of the rayon material by using the towel to squeeze it.
- Place the fabric on a dry towel and pull outwards the top and bottom of the material.
- Allow air to dry, then flip it over and repeat the stretch.
- Hang the rayon material on a clothes hanger.
- Use a steamer to apply warm moisture to the cloth.
- Stretch the cloth with one hand while stretching it out with the other hand.
- Keep at the stretching.
You don’t have to be scared, using a steamer or warm water won’t make the material shrink further. Following the steps listed above should help a great deal in your quest to unshrink your rayon material.
2. How To Unshrink Rayon Using Hair Conditioner
This method also works great in unshrinking jeans that have become too tight to wear. Apparently, hair conditioners contain a special chemical that helps in stretching rayon materials to their original state, but you have to follow a series of steps before achieving this.
- Lukewarm Water
- Hair Conditioner
- In a bucket large enough for the cloth to go inside, fill with lukewarm water.
- Add two to three tablespoons of hair conditioner.
- Mix the solution thoroughly.
- Insert the material into the solution.
- Massage the cloth inside the bucket until the fibers are soaked.
- Use cold water to rinse the material and remove residue from the conditioner.
- Take out as much water as possible.
- Place the cloth on a dry towel and stretch it out with two hands in different directions.
- While the fabric dries, flip it over and repeat the stretching.
3. How To Unshrink Rayon Using Baby Shampoo
Warm water is very useful when stretching rayon materials, this is because warm water relaxes each fiber of the cloth, thus making it easier to stretch. For this method, we are going to be using baby shampoo. If you do not have a hair conditioner or a steamer at home, you can settle for this method, it works too.
Here’s what you’ll need;
- Warm Water
- 1 tablespoon of baby shampoo
- Pour warm water into a bucket large enough to contain the cloth
- Add the baby shampoo into the bucket.
- Stir the content in the bucket to form lather.
- Insert the rayon material into the bucket and allow it to sit for a while.
- Take the cloth out of the bucket and hold it under cold running water to remove soap residue.
- Using a towel to roll, take out as much water as you can from the rayon material.
- Lay the cloth on a flat surface.
- Stretch the cloth with both hands.
- Keep stretching as the cloth dries.
4. How To Unshrink A Rayon Sweater
Although the steps look the same, shrinking your rayon sweater requires a little more. Using a bucket might not be ideal, as your sweater is quite larger than regular rayon tops and would require more space. This method is specifically for anyone who wants to unshrink a rayon sweater. Here’s what you’ll need for the procedure;
- A Bathtub
- Mild Baby shampoo
- Warm water
- Strong hanger
- Large towel
- Seal the drain of a bathtub and fill it up with warm water.
- Add a good amount of baby shampoo to the bathtub and mix.
- Insert the sweater into the bathtub.
- Massage the sweater to relax the fibers of the cloth.
- Flush out the soap residue by rinsing the sweater under cold water.
- Pat the material and remove excess water.
- Lay the sweater on a large towel and roll the towel to drain out the remaining water from the fabric.
- Hang the rayon sweater on a strong hanger.
- Stretch it with both hands.
- Allow it to dry (the material will stretch more as it dries).
5. How To Stretch Rayon With Clothespins
Using clothespins is a great method of stretching stubborn rayon materials. You will need very durable clothespins for this method.
- Hair Conditioner
- Warm water
- Ironing Board
- Pour warm water into a bucket.
- Add a fair amount of hair conditioner and stir.
- Press the cloth inside the bucket and allow it to sit for a while.
- Bring out the cloth and rinse it with warm water.
- Place the cloth on a towel and roll it into a tube to drain out excess water.
- On an ironing board place a completely dry towel.
- Keep the rayon cloth on the dry towel.
- Use your hands to pull out sections of the cloth while using the clothespin to secure each pulled part to the ironing board.
- Leave the cloth in that position until it dries.
6. Stuffing Your Rayon
Here’s another method that just might work for you. The steps are almost the same as the ones above. Soak the rayon fabric inside a bucket with warm water and a hair conditioner or baby shampoo.
After this is done, bring out the fabric and use a towel to dry it by rolling the towel into a tube. Use both your hands to stretch the material a bit, then allow the cloth to dry for a while. Finally, get some of your old clothes and stuff the rayon material and leave for about 24 hours.
Remove the old clothes from the rayon fabric and you should notice a huge difference. This method works for sweaters, shorts, and just about any kind of rayon material.
How To Wash Rayon Without Shrinking It
We can’t stop washing our rayon fabrics because of fear that they’ll shrink. Here’s a video tutorial that shows you how to wash your rayon cloth comfortably without it shrinking. This video also shares tips that’ll help you shrink your rayon fabric.
Does Ironing Unshrink Rayon
Using a steam iron helps a great deal in unshrinking rayon fabrics. Simply use an iron and a little bit of water to stretch out the material. If this doesn’t work for you, feel free to try out other methods listed in this article.
Will rayon material shrink after washing?
Yes, rayon materials would most likely shrink after washing. However, to reduce the shrinkage possibility, you should never wash these types of materials with hot water as it would contract significantly, however, washing with cold water and hands might shrink it too.
Does rayon keep shrinking?
As long as you keep washing it with hot water and tossing it in the dryer afterward, it will keep shrinking till you can’t wear it again. My advice is, do not be in a hurry to wear it. Wash it with cold water and then give it time to dry. If you must wear it for a party or event you should plan ahead and wash it so it can dry on time.
Caring for your rayon fabric is very important, however, these materials might still shrink with time but not as bad as how they would if you tossed them inside a dryer. All the tips listed in this article are very helpful when it comes to unshrinking rayon. Thanks for stopping by!