Anyone to use power optics or eyeglasses know the importance of a clean view all along. And it actually requires proper everyday cleaning like your body.
Poor maintenance leads to microbial buildups as well as lowered clarity over time.
Why don’t you simply consider using an all-natural cleaning solution? Well, DIY enthusiasts developed several homemade eyeglass cleaners on your aid.
Table of Contents
Why Use Homemade Eyeglass Cleaners?
- Eyeglass requires a clean sweep every day after a busy outdoor time. And you obviously don’t want to hit an optics store every night/morning.
- Indoor cleaners are considerably less powerful than commercial ones. Chances of accidental damage become less with at-home formulas.
- No need to buy expensive, fancy, or unknown eyeglass cleaners. You can literally carry a spray bottle or container anywhere for applications.
- Chemical cleaners can barely withstand fogging or steaming action. That’s where homemade recipes come with a potential remedy for you.
- Harsh chemical agents can gradually damage the overall lens power. But DIY solutions can effectively retain consistency in performances.
Should You Prefer Alcohol?
Homemade alcohol cleaner remains a simple, functional, popular recipe all over the world. It can certainly restore the absolute clarity of glasses on treatment. You can obviously consider the formula for wiping glass windows, windshields clean.
However, the question starts to arise with the modernized revolution of glass lenses. There are many variations available in the market to suffice optical needs. And majority of the manufacturers have recommended avoiding alcoholic recipes.
Extremely sophisticated lens is dominating the market to encourage clarity. But the application of alcohol can induce eventual or instant chemical reactions. It’s likely to damage the overall quality, performance & power of your precious eyeglasses.
It’s better for everyone to save isopropyl or rubbing alcohol without confirmation. Rubbing alcohol still delivers exceptional cleaning for multiple lens materials. But you should contact the manufacturer or seller to confront the newer eyeglasses.
Tap Water Instead of Distilled Water
Several DIY methods require distilled water to achieve the best outcome. However, not everyone owns distilled water right away for use.
And people eventually decide to settle for normal tap water. Of course, not a significant difference remains visible for the two anyway.
But you must ensure the tap water stays free from contamination. Absolutely clean water can suffice the recipe’s effectiveness perfectly.
Let’s get started with the simple yet effective homemade cleaners.
1. Basic Cleaner for Dirt, Grit, or Fall
No need to scrub the glasses right after catching loose airborne particles. You just need to check for the absolute basic cleaning to address the situation. No more scratching the lenses to induce eventual stain or blurred view.
Soapy Water Formula
- Liquid Dishwashing Detergent
- Clean household Water
Add several detergent drops to a limited amount of water in a bowl. Stir the solution together to create a uniform cleaning mix.
Hold your eyeglasses by the side to drag the whole frame through the solution. Simply continue the process for some seconds.
Rinse the optics to wipe clean the excessive watery drops. Always use a soft cotton cloth to treat the lens for complete drying.
2. Eyeglass Cleaner without Alcohol
Not every lens from an advanced manufacturer can withstand the power of alcohol. That’s exactly where you should consider another primary-level recipe. It initiates cutting through the grease with discouraging condensation (fog) formation.
Distilled Vinegar Spray
- White vinegar
- Clean Water
You’re to apply the solution in the form of spray than anything else. Of course, you need to mix the two ingredients properly.
Simply add 3 parts of distilled white vinegar with 1 part of water. Shake well to apply directly on your glass lens for cleaning.
The glass rubbing recipes actually can’t get simpler anymore. Gently buff the glasses dry using a microfiber or cotton cloth.
3. Universal Glass Cleaning Solution
It’s more like a well-recognized recipe to treat any common glass type. The homemade mix works incredibly great in wiping out unnecessary buildups. You can effectively neutralize everyday grime, dirt, oily grease, or smudgy fingerprints.
Steady Alcohol Spray
- ½ Cup Rubbing Alcohol
- ½ Cup Clean Water
- Liquid Soap or Dishwashing Liquid
Mix the intended ingredients in a reasonably small spray container. Of course, you’re to add 1 – 2 drops of the liquid soap.
Likewise, give the bottle a vigorous shake after sealing the entrance. Shake well to spray the solution on both glass sides.
Gently polish the lens using a clean microfiber cloth to finish. You can also spray the mix on a cloth first to rub the surface.
4. No-Steam or No-Fog Glass Cleaner
Fogging remains one annoying, disgusting, embarrassing issue with eyeglasses. The induced steam can cause serious problems outdoor for many people. However, it takes almost no special ingredient except ammonia to exterminate glass fogs.
Extra Ammonia Solution
- ½ Cup Isopropyl Alcohol
- ¼ Tsp Liquid Dishwashing Detergent
- 2 Tbs Sudsy Ammonia
- 1 Quart Distilled Water
Simply pour the ingredients in a relevant amount in a spray bottle. Initiate a vigorous shake to create the cleaning mixture inside.
Directly apply the solution on both sides of your glass lens. Gently rub the surfaces to wipe clean the mix using a lint-free cloth.
5. Removal of Oily Grease from Glasses
Are you having excessive grease or sweat problems for the entire frame? It’s time to cut the greases from optics without getting expensive or tricky. You can additionally consider the recipe on full eyewear set for thorough cleaning.
Liquid Soapy Mix
- Dawn Liquid Soap
- Clean Tap Water
Take a moderate-sized bowl filled with clean tap water. Add 5 to 7 drops of dawn liquid soap directly to the water.
Stir the mix using a spoon to confront its proper uniformity. Submerge eyeglasses gently in the prepared soapy mix.
Slowly rub the glass using your fingers in a circular motion. Rinse with water to wipe the lenses with a microfiber cloth.
6. Powerful Eyeglass Cleansing Agent
The recipe isn’t exactly subtle for many lens materials in the market. You must confirm its suitability to use on your worn glasses first. However, the intended cleaning formula remains easy to make with everyday ingredients.
Soapy Witch Hazel
- ½ Cup Witch Hazel
- Dawn Liquid Soap
- ½ Cup Distilled Water
Take a spritz (spray) bottle to add the witch hazel against distilled water. Add two to three drops of dawn liquid soap to the mix.
Seal to opening to give a good shake for prepping the solution. Simply spray the mix on a microfiber cloth to rub the lenses.
Also, you don’t have to confine yourself to dawn dish soap only. Any mild liquid soap should perform the cleaning trick just fine.
Cleaning the Microfiber Cloth
Almost every recipe (either homemade or commercial) uses microfiber cloth rubbing. And it’s a must for everyone to clean the cloth regularly.
Otherwise, the cloth itself will eventually become a microbial living ground. Accumulating dirt can even damage the lenses without notice.
- Mild Shampoo
- Dish Soap
- Warm Water
Mix several drops of dish soap or mild shampoo with lukewarm water. Likewise, you should prepare the cleaning combo bowl.
Give the microfiber cloth a good dash to eliminate loosely bound particles. Always prefer a clean surface to treat the dry cloth.
Now submerge the entire cloth in the bowl to leave it for 5 – 15 minutes. Gently rub the cloth using both your hands for cleanup.
Take the cleaning cloth out of soapy water to rinse with tap water. Give a mild squeeze to the cloth for removing excess water.
Things to Consider While Cleaning
There are some common factors to keep in mind, regardless of the recipe. It can secure your lens’ precise cleanliness after every session.
- Avoid cleaning the lenses with clothes to have lint.
- Skip using slightly thick tissue paper or paper towel.
- Don’t ever rub glass surfaces with higher pressure.
- Settle for distilled water first, not for the tap water.
- Make sure the metal frame is dried after cleaning.
- Check for diluted mixes instead of concentrated ones.
- Look into the rubbing clothes for any rough marks.
Tips to Keep Eyeglasses Clean
- Always try to use distilled water in the applicable recipes. You should consider buying a distilled water container.
- Clean the supporting metal frame alongside the glasses. However, don’t let any moisture remain present.
- Try to clean your eyeglasses every day after returning from work. It’ll help you to avoid microbial buildups.
- Avoid using your personal clothing to wipe the lenses clean. It can worsen the ongoing condition of your eyewear.
- Keep the eyeglass enclosed in a suitable storage casing. That’s where you can prevent eventual buildups on the lens.
- Don’t use anything except soft cotton or microfiber cloth. Synthetic fibers may leave stains or scratches on the surface.
- Immediately wash the microfiber or cotton cloth after cleaning. The action should keep the fibers functional.
Keeping the lenses clean lets you observe the surrounding with maximum clarity. And it directly eliminates the chance of encountering germs, dust, grimes. And spending some mere minutes on the formulas mentioned above will deliver both.