Redesigned kitchens are one of the most common changes homeowners make to their homes in order to increase their value. Luckily, there are kitchen renovations that can be D.I.Y., rather than hiring a professional to do it.
Just keep in mind that renovations are cosmetic changes, such as new tiles, new countertops, and new cabinetry. On the other hand, remodels are much more complex, as they usually require reconstructing an entire room that changes plumbing, electrical work, and even includes tearing down walls. Remodels almost always require a professional, while renovations can be D.I.Y.
No matter what type of kitchen updates you plan on doing, the work will be tremendously easier when you have the right tools. Using the incorrect tools on a kitchen renovation can make the work a lot more difficult, and there’s also the chance of the work not being done correctly. Here are some tools that will be helpful to you when renovating your kitchen:
- Countersink drill bits will be helpful when you’re replacing your cabinets, especially if you opt to use RTA cabinets.
- Drywall trowel for smoothing mud, which will allow your cabinets to sit more level.
- Grip clamps are good for holding things together while you assemble them.
- Impact driver for driving longer screws into cabinets. Compared to a regular power drill, an impact driver will make it much easier to do.
- Levels are needed for a variety of home improvement projects, but when it comes to your kitchen, you may need a longer level for leveling your cabinets.
- Miter saw for cutting precise pieces of molding and trimming.
- Oscillating tool, or multitool for cutting, grinding, sanding, sawing, and scraping.
- Table saw for cutting plywood.
- Tile saws for cutting your tile for your floors.
Have Your Safety Equipment
Because this is construction-related and you’ll likely be using power tools, it’s important that you, as a D.I.Y.-er, still have your own PPE (personal protective equipment). Some safety equipment you may need includes:
- Eye protection/goggles in the event that any particles, large or microscopic, may fly into your eyes.
- Hand protection/gloves when handling wood that may have splinters.
- Head protection/hard hat, just in case something falls while you’re working at the ground level.
- Hearing protection/earplugs to prevent hearing damage or hearing loss that can be caused by some loud machines.
- Lung protection/masks will protect you from breathing in any debris that may be circulating in the air.
Also, make sure to keep your workspace as clean as possible. This means not to have materials scattered around, where one could slip, trip, or fall. Heavy items should be kept on the ground whenever possible to keep them from falling from a distance, which can really injure someone nearby.
Keep These Tips in Mind
When doing your own kitchen renovation, it’s important to be patient because there is always the likelihood of encountering issues. Simple D.I.Y. renovations don’t always require a professional, but if you get stuck, calling a professional for help doesn’t mean you’re a failure. Kitchen renovations can be tricky, and many people enlist the help of a contractor to get the job done. Also, make sure that you have permits (if necessary) before you start your renovations. Getting a permit to work on your kitchen may also require you to make sure that all of your renovations are in line with current building regulations.
Kitchen renovations are one of the easiest ways you can increase the value of your home. They also add value to rental properties, especially if your rental property includes a full kitchen compared to a kitchenette. Keep these tips in mind if you plan on investing in a rental property, for your own home, and for your other properties.
Renovating your kitchen isn’t always a difficult task, and it helps to make things easier if you start small. This means starting out with cabinetry first, then moving on to countertops and the floors. However you choose to start, remember that renovations are a process and you don’t want to rush through them.